grammar survey

Subject: grammar survey
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 14:16:17 -0400

Hi gang -

Vote for your favorite:

1) When finished, press END.
2) When done, press END.
3) Press END when finished.
4) Press END when done.

There's a raging debate here on my technical review team as to which is
the correct construction. Some don't like "when done" as it makes them
think we're baking a cake, others don't like "when finished" and are
adamant that "when done" is perfectly acceptable. Some want the action
to be taken at the front of the sentence, others want the time to take
the action at the front of the sentence.

I've heard and read plenty of good arguments for each construction and
am wondering how you folks feel about them.

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Sr. Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
Norcross GA (USA)