Re: Fw: PC warning signs

Subject: Re: Fw: PC warning signs
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:52:50 -0400

I'm glad this thread came up again, as I deleted all of the posts from
the other day. I had an afterthought on the subject of
internationalization of warning symbols: Not only do colors have
different connotations in different cultures, but people should think
for a couple of seconds about the symbols themselves. Does the standard
Windows warning symbol (exclamation point in a triangle) really have
meaning worldwide? Or does Microsoft use some other character besides
the exclamation point in their foreign-language versions?

I would think that people who are facing this issue should do some
research in semiotics before they sign off on translations.

Just my .02