Re: TW Interview Questions

Subject: Re: TW Interview Questions
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:23:19 -0400

Barry Kieffer wrote

>This person may look great on paper, and interview good. During lunch the
>person starts talking like a raciest/sexist/militant/nut case. Tell me, do
>you really want this person around all day long?

Okay, but understand that, in the very act of posting this, you may have
exposed yourself or your company to a law suit from a person who was
qualified for the job but expressed some personal political opinion at lunch
and then did not get the job.

Of course the line is hard to draw. For instance, if someone has created and
led a church choir for five years, that may be job related since it
demonstrates initiative and leadership skills, but it also reveals religious
affiliation, which is a forbidden ground of discrimination. But when you are
hiring you must make every effort to hire, and to be seen to hire, only on
the grounds of what is required for job performance. This does not exclude
people skills, which are a legitimate requirement for many positions. It
certainly excludes political, social, or philosophical opinions that might
cause *you* to consider someone "raciest/sexist/militant/nut case".

I remind everyone posting on this issue that what you say in this **public**
forum about your hiring practices could expose you to liability if the
practice you describe is considered discriminatory under the laws of your
jurisdiction.

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications