Re: Interview Questions

Subject: Re: Interview Questions
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:37:57 -0500

Janice Gelb wrote:

> Judging from the messages on this issue, I guess I'm the only person
> who thinks these don't belong on a resume and could easily backfire.

No, you're not. I agree in general, with the exceptions being outside
interests that only an ogre would count against you (teaching adults to
read, for example) or interests that are related to the job you're
applying for. And I guess you could also use it to weed out employers
you wouldn't be interested in -- "if they toss my resume just because I
like to do (fill in the blank) I wouldn't want to work there anyway."
;-) So I was very surprised at Lisa's report that some companies throw
away resumes simply because they do not list outside interests. Anybody
else?

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm