Technical Writer Education

Subject: Technical Writer Education
From: Christie Carr <chrcarr -at- UMICH -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 12:38:08 -0500

I am a Ph.D. student in business and technical communication who currently
teaches technical communication in a traditional academic environment where
the technology is limited and outdated. Because I spend the majority of my
time in the classroom, I feel that I have begun to lose touch with the
technology that is actually being used in the workplace. This being the
case, I'm interested in learning more about specific software applications
that graduates should be fluent in when they begin to pursue work as
professional technical writers. Comments, recommendations and shopping
lists would be extremely helpful, especially since we will soon have the
funds constuct a dream instructional lab. So what components should
comprise this ideal computer classroom?

Sincerely,
Robert Carr
Wayne State University