Re: Interview Questions

Subject: Re: Interview Questions
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:22:40 -0700

Walter Hanig wrote:

> At 08:40 PM 5/14/98 GMT, Barb Philbrick wrote:
> >
> >The favorite and hobbies questions do have a purpose. When I was
> >teaching, I taught students how to write resumes, and one of the
> >discussions was "what do you put in the Outside Interest section?"
>
> One benefit of the "outside interest" section is that you never know what will connect with the reader/propective employer. It's great when you have something in common that's not job-related. You both can relax a little in what can be a stressful situation.
>
> Walter (who got his first post-college job because he'd made bagels)

Judging from the messages on this issue, I guess I'm the only person
who thinks these don't belong on a resume and could easily backfire.
True that if you and the interviewer have something in common it makes
the interview more cosy. But what if the interviewer thinks that your
outside interests are a spectacularly stupid way to spend time? Or they
push some ideological button? My preference would be to stick to
business interests and leave the social aspect to after you get the job
and are getting to know your co-workers.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"The Web is the world's greatest library with all the books on the floor"
-- Patrick Casey, AP (Oklahoma)