Single-sourcing, SGML, Online Help

Subject: Single-sourcing, SGML, Online Help
From: Kandis Weiner <kandisw -at- POSITRON -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:34:02 -0400

Hi,

(Cross posted to Winhelp.)

Hoping to tap the great knowledge of the list once again.

You may remeber me from a previous posting requesting information on HTML
Help, tools processes, etc. My research into the implementation of online
help continues (HTML help is probably "The Way") and I have a few more
questions for anyone out there using SGML.

My question is this:

Can the qualities of SGML facilitate single-sourcing of online help and
hardcopy documentation. For example, can tags be created that indicate what
information will go into online help, printed docs, and both? And, are
there tags that can be designed to indicate hypertext link in online help
or cross-references in printed docs? Can then some macro be run to extract
the informaiton required foir online help? Once this information is
extracted, maybe it can be easily(?) converted to HTML Help (Save As HTML)?

I would greatly appreciate any information concerning the tools and
especially the processes people are using to implement a single-source
environment with Frame + SGML.

I will post a summary to the list if folks are interested.

thanks again!

Kandis Weiner
Technical Communicator - Product Integration
Positron Public Safety Systems Inc.
Montreal, Quebec Canada
mailto:kandisw -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca
http:\\www.positron911.com
Standard Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, but my brain is for rent.