Re: Proposal Responsibilities

Subject: Re: Proposal Responsibilities
From: JRG <techwriter -at- ARISTOTLE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:58:17 -0500

Gina Hertel:

I work for a local engineering company as the only technical writer...
however, several employees in the marketing department where the tech
writer hat. To answer your questions:

I am in charge of consolidating the edits that the proposal team (which
usually consists of the project manager, project engineer, and myself)
makes.

My position is also responsible for the production of the proposal.

In theory, the project manager is supposed to be the "lead" in our
company... but in reality, that rarely happens. I usually take the
RFQ/RFP and develop an outline of our approach and a mock-up of the
overall proposal; I then deliver that to the project manager and we sit
down together and go over it in detail (adding some things, changing
others, etc).

Because our project managers know nothing (rarely even the basics) of
OFFICE 97, CorelDraw!, PageMaker, it's up to me to make sure that
everything happens the way that it should.

Jim Gilliam
techwriter -at- aristotle -dot- net
Little Rock, Arkansas