Re: more #$ -at- %#^&$# secretary stuff...

Subject: Re: more #$ -at- %#^&$# secretary stuff...
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:54:08 -0700

Dear Elna Tymes,

Since the RIF, I've been contracting the last two years and am making
twice as much money as I did from the days I was working for my last
permanent employer. While the money's very good, I also know it's not
enough, nor does contracting really help promote the sense of inner
stability I strive to foster within myself. I like working with
positive, warmhearted and hard-working professionals. The good people I
left behind were that and a lot more. And I miss them.

I don't consider the extra things I did acts of depreciation because if
I didn't like the people I did them for, I wouldn't have done them at
all. That's a large part of the equation I think maybe you didn't see.

One day, I hope to have my own tech writing business instead of having
to rely on contracting through agencies. I've got a lot of work ahead
of me before I feel comfortable enough to strike out on my own. I hold
no grudge against you for having your own company; you're where I want
to be at one day. As far as the charities go, I may go that route one
day when I'm older and can afford to do it full time. Being a San
Francisco resident, I've seen the dark side of life in places like the
Tenderloin and I've seen the 'Loin rip the heart and soul out of someone
I once loved. It still hurts like Hell when I think about her, but I've
also found my perspective. Suffice it to say I know which charities to
go offer my services to, should I ever find tech writing work in the
city I live in one day. And I do want to find tech writing work in San
Francisco eventually.

In closing, may you always find your own happiness in doing the task for
the sake of doing the task. When you do what you love, the money will
follow -- or so that's what the book by the same name promotes.

George

PS to Eric Ray: I'm trying to stay on topic here. =D Hope I did that
for you today.