Student's Questions

Subject: Student's Questions
From: "Martha C. Hudson" <sl084 -at- CC -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:57:19 -0700

I will have a BFA degree in art June 1998 and am planning to obtain a
Master's in Technical Writing from Utah State University. I should start
the master's program next fall. Can anyone tell me what kind of options I
should have for employment once I am finally done with school?

I already know PageMaker, Word, WordPerfect, some HTML, Illustrator,
FreeHand, QuarkXpress, and am comfortable in both PC and Mac Operating
Systems. I am a pretty strong writer and have a solid art background. I
am most interested in creating web documents.

Can anyone tell me which software programs are most important for the
fields of TW and Internet design?

What skills do employees really look
for in an applicant?

What salary should I expect to have just out of grad
school?

Which regions of the country are best for this field?

Do I havebetter employment options working for a smaller firm or large
corporation?

Can anyone suggest any companies I should begin researching now so I will
have some direction once I actually begin applying for jobs? I have been
trying to potential employers, but it is a bit of an arduous process.

I know these are alot of questions. Any information will help.

Thanks,

Martha C. Hudson
sl084 -at- cc -dot- usu -dot- edu