Re: one manual for two ...?

Subject: Re: one manual for two ...?
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 14:10:07 -0500

Chris,

I vote for option b above. If you bury the version differences in the
text (your option A), it's a nightmare to maintain and it's confusing to
the readers who are NOT using that version. You can put cross-references
in the text (something like, "See Appendix B - Whatever Title" for
version specific information), but to put the whole thing there causes
your readers to have to stumble around to pick up the thread again. If
you produce separate manuals (option C), you're in for lots of extra
work to keep the general sections synchronized when you update your
manuals.

Been there, done that!

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer