Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 08:53:57 -0400

I am very lucky in that my current employer operates this way. They
understand that if the TWs have trouble documenting their product
(residential and small business telephony equipment), chances are pretty
good that the customer will have trouble using it. They are very focused
on usability and in fact have conducted several in-depth usability
evaluations during the design process. I work very closely with the
Product Management team regarding user interface, etc. If I point out
something that I think is a usability issue, it gets re-evaluated and
often re-worked.

I will add, though, that in close to 15 years as a TW, this is the first
company I have ever been involved with that has taken this approach.

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Sr. Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
Norcross GA (USA)