Re: Tech Writers who don't like technology -Reply

Subject: Re: Tech Writers who don't like technology -Reply
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 13:32:42 -0400

>>> Rene Gedaly wrote >>>
(PARAPHRASED)
in tech writing, we serve our audiences better when we are good
generalists, good communicators, who "go deep" only as required.
Some of us, for some jobs, will spend more time at those deeper levels
than others. I object to writers who don't write as if audience matters.
I do agree with these points, but I also believe that not only do we need
to be good generalists, but also good at the specifics of our subject
matter.

For example, I know a great deal about software products, so let's say
(HYPOTHETICALLY) that I am writing about MS Access 97... I know
everything there is to know about database theory, but I have never
actually used the software, can I write an effective beginner-level
end-user manual without spending the time to look at the program? I
personally don't believe so.

I think this topic ties in with the thread that is discussing keeping up on
information, because no matter how well we "talk" to our audience, we
need to know the specific language. (Try speaking German to a
Japanese client, and see how far you get...)

(Only half of my $0.02, but it'll do for now!) ;-)

Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification & Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association