Project Bonuses?

Subject: Project Bonuses?
From: Deborah Wood <DWood -at- SHAREDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:53:10 -0700

Fellow Professionals,

In our company, Documentation resides in the Engineering organization
and is an integral part of the development process. As such,
historically we have been recipients of project-related bonuses awarded
to the development team. As our company grows and as development
projects occur in parallel without everyone working on every project, we
need to take a look at how the bonus process is or is not working.

As you all know, this is a difficult subject. No matter what management
decides, someone will be unhappy. But, given that, I*d like to find out
if there are other successful and positive ways to handle bonuses. Can
you avoid the *expectation* of bonuses? Can you avoid the feelings of *I
worked harder than he/she did...why did he/she get more?* Have you been
able to reward a team effort in addition to recognizing individual
accomplishments? How? Have you done away with the darn things
altogether??

I would certainly appreciate your feedback on this subject. Feel free to
respond to me personally or to the list. I will communicate any trends
and discoveries back to the list.

Thank you all for your thoughts and time!

Deborah Ellyn Wood
Manager of Documentation
ShareData, Santa Clara, CA
DWood -at- sharedata -dot- com