Re: Proposal vs Requirements/Specifications doc

Subject: Re: Proposal vs Requirements/Specifications doc
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 07:45:32 PDT

I feel that Rowana Hart posted a very good article on what a proposal
is; so I will not comment on that.

What is a (software) requirements specification? I have extensive
experience creating such. A clear and concise software requirements
specification = Data Flow Diagrams (supplemented to the degree necessary
with Entity Relationship Diagrams and a Data Dictionary). Period.

Anything else is downhill (in terms of clarity and conciseness).

The poorest (and from what I have seen, most common type of)
requirements specification is a big text based document and no one can
understand. The primary purpose of these is not to clarify but to
mystify (i.e. read job security).

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

SHOW ME YOUR DFD'S