Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer
From: Katherin King <kking -at- BROOKTROUT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 10:14:57 -0400

Mark Baker said, "A functional spec tells you how to build a product."

This isn't entirely true. Our software functional specs provide
excruciating detail about what the software does and how it does it, not
necessarily how it's coded/built. And yes, a lot of how I write the
users manual is to take that information and turn "what the software
does and how it does it" into task-oriented steps. Our product is a SDK
and runtime engine, used by developers to create telephony applications.

Kathy Stanzler
Technical Writer
Brooktrout Technology Inc.
Southborough, MA