Re: An editing on-screen alternative

Subject: Re: An editing on-screen alternative
From: "Roz Ault, Information Technology, X 377" <AULT -at- FAXON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 09:47:16 -0400

Re:
>I am looking for a proofing/markup software that has the ease of use of a
>red pencil and yet maintains the original document structure so that you can
>see what is being commented on....Turning revision marking on/off in
>Word and Frame doesn't do this. ...
>It seems like I saw something that worked like an transparent
>overlay over the original document....

Many years ago (well, at least in computer years) there was a program
called Markup that did this, from a company called Mainstay. But it
was ahead of its time -- required too much learning and effort to use
in a time when networking was in its infancy, and just moving
files around was a problem. I suspect both the company and the program
are long dead. At least I haven't heard anything about them in recent
times. (The version I saw was a Mac program, BTW.)

They did have a cute T-shirt with proofreaders' symbols on it, which
was about the only useful thing I ever got out of the program.

- Roz Ault
ault -at- faxon -dot- com