Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 15:09:27 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote

>I am amazed at how many of you drifted this discussion off topic as quickly
>as possible.
>The question was: when faced with someone who has misrepresented themselves
>as a technical person, what do you do? How do you handle a person who
>clearly cannot deal with the technology yet are supposed to write about
that
>technology? Do you help them? Fire them? Stick them in an editors
>position? What is the answer to solving the problem of non-technical,
>technical writers?

But this is simply a particular case of a general HR problem: what do I do
when I discover that the person I hired is not capable of doing the job I
hired them for. You can train, transfer, terminate, or tolerate, depending
on your circumstances. The problem is not unique to tech writing, and I
don't see that the tech writing field has any special perspectives to bring
to bear on it.

The only advice I would offer is to seek the guidance of your HR department
to make sure you respect the rights of the person concerned, and , when you
make your decision, consider the *long term* impact on the productivity and
morale of the rest of the group.

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications