Re: Acronyms (was Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?)

Subject: Re: Acronyms (was Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?)
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- ROCKETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:45:27 -0700

> Isn't this just another "it depends" sort of question? I'm more
familiar
> with the acronym FDIC than the long version, Federal
> Deposit Insurance Corporation. However, if I had to refer to the
FDIC and
> was writing for either a translator or an ESL audience, I'd spell it
out
> once or include it in a glossary of terms (or popup in online
Help... you
> get the picture).

You are comparing apples and oranges (to use a cliche beaten to
death). There is very little confusion as to what FDIC means, but
people often confuse the uses for e.g. and i.e.

I prefer to use "for example" and "in other words", as well as "and so
on" instead of etc. (or is it "etc..." or... )

*g* ;)

===

Bill Swallow
bill_swallow -at- rocketmail -dot- com
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Park/8254

What if there were no hypothetical situations?
-- Andrew Kohlsmith