Re: PhotoShop and Corel Suite compatibility

Subject: Re: PhotoShop and Corel Suite compatibility
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 13:54:27 -0400

At 09:18 AM 5/6/98 -0700, Cheryle Wiese wrote:

>QUESTION: Do I need to try to get my boss to approve a $600 PhotoShop
>purchase, or can I use Corel to manipulate the PhotoShop files? I
>played around with this a little bit and it didn't seem to work, but
>maybe I'm missing something.

Cheryle,

Corel PhotoPaint is the part of the Draw suite that works with bitmap
images. There are *many* file formats that PhotoPaint and Photoshop
have in common. Just ask the artiste to save files in a format that
you can open (such as TIFF)... I assume that you're going to do the
final rendering of the graphics as GIFs or JPEGs, no?

It's been a long time since I used Corel 6, but if memory serves you
will *not* be able to work with Photoshop-native (*.psd) format
files in Corel PhotoPaint 6. I use the CorelDraw 8 suite at the
moment, and the newest version of PhotoPaint *does* open Photoshop-
native files.

My advice (if you're comfortable with Corel) is to push for an
upgrade to the latest version of *that* package. Photoshop is
a great tool and unquestionably an industry standard, but it's
far from the only way to skin the proverbial cat.

Hope this helps.

--
Barry Campbell          |   Senior Technical Writer
barry -at- webveranda -dot- com    |   Summit Systems, Inc.