Re: Not allowed to change templates?

Subject: Re: Not allowed to change templates?
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:00:19 -0700

Many people have made the points I would have made in this
discussion: the importance of consistency, of not having
each writer change the template according to whim, and of
needing some process so that when a change is necessary, it
can be reviewed.

One point that I don't believe has been made yet by anyone
is that if the change is really legitimate, odds are good
that other writers could benefit from it as well. If just
one writer sneaks it into his or her template, the next
writer who faces this problem will have to reinvent it.

Also, one other note: we have both a Design Council and
an Editorial Forum. The first step in our change process
is that the writer who is proposing a change to the templates
goes to the assigned editor first. Often, the problem that
the writer is facing can be solved by tags that are already
in the templates, and someone who has seen many documents
using the templates can find that sort of solution.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html