Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers
From: Hulda Hime <hulda -at- WW-WEB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 09:35:38 -0700

I just wanted to make a quick observation about Rowena's comment re:
programmers/engineers who gained their knowledge via effort and not within
an institution of education. My experience with programmers who learned
their skill "on the job" has been far more positive than those who went to
college. They have been far more willing to spend time explaining and
assisting those with less knowledge. Basically, they haven't forgotten
where they came from. If I had to choose between two equally skilled
programmers, I'd take the one without a college education any day.

On the other hand, I have had experience with writers who had little or no
college background and I found them lacking in the ability to adapt to
different environments, change, and some basic human interaction skills. I
think such skills are more important for writers to have than
programmers/engineers. Basically, I don't care about what degree someone
has or even if they have a degree. However, when hiring a writer, I do
need to see that they have had some basic college and have developed some
communication skills.

Just my opinion!

-- Hulda R. Hime --
hulda -at- ww-web -dot- com