Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: Walter Hanig <walter -dot- hanig -at- NETMANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 16:50:06 -0700

At 09:27 AM 5/6/98 +1000, Justin Moss wrote:
>Would you mind giving me your impression of the 'correct' usage of these=20
>abbreviations ?

You understand the correct uses for i.e. (id est, that is) and e.g. (exemplar gratis, for example).

The current "correct" usage is "Don't use them."

When you mean "for example," use "for example."

etc. falls into the same category. When the meaning of etc. is either desirable or unavoidable, I use "and so on" or "and other similar xxx."

Walter

Walter Hanig

NetManage, Inc.
12651 High Bluff Drive
San Diego, CA 92130, USA

Phone: 619-793-3173 FAX: 619-755-3998
e-mail: walter -dot- hanig -at- netmanage -dot- com wdhanig -at- rice -dot- edu
Blood Type: O+