Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: Justin Moss <Justin_Moss -at- RTA -dot- NSW -dot- GOV -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 09:27:57 +1000

Hi,

There seems to be an inconsistent usage of the Latin abbreviations, "i.e."
and "e.g."

I am compiling a civil engineering guide and before doing so wish to develop
a set of conventions which will include these abbreviations. My
understanding for correct usage of these is given by the following examples.

My house is of Titanic proportions, i.e., it's big.
Some fruits are difficult to harvest, e.g., coconuts.

A less formal use of these abbreviations might be to drop the trailing
comma, that is, "i.e. it's big !" and "e.g. coconuts"

Would you mind giving me your impression of the 'correct' usage of these
abbreviations ?

Regards
Justin