Need wording help, please

Subject: Need wording help, please
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:32:34 -0700

Hi, everyone.

Here's a description: On screen, there is a table that displays items
loaded from a database. Any number of items may be displayed, depending
on the query. Below the table are search options that allow the user to
search for items in any one of three columns (fields) in the table.

The search options are visible only when the number of items in the
table exceeds the visible area of the table (and thus a scroll bar would
appear, also). I'm struggling with how to describe the dynamic state of
the search options. Right now I have:

"The search options will not show up if the number of items in the table
does not exceed the visible area of the table."

I'm not real happy with that. I could also describe it as

"The search options are visible only when the number of items in the
table exceeds the visible area of the table."

Better, but it still sounds clunky to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Beverly Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil = http://www.hqisec.army.mil/cis/
Visit the Friendly Faces of TECHWR-L: