Re: References to the "Learning Curve"

Subject: Re: References to the "Learning Curve"
From: "L. H. Garlinghouse" <garlinghou -at- WATERLOOINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:08:45 -0600

David asks:
> Would someone on the list please tell me what the "learning curve" looks =
> like. People keep referring to difficult software as having a "steep =
> learning curve". I have looked in the archives and people have referred =
> to the curve as "short", "sharp", and "slow". I have no idea what these =
> descriptions mean.
==============
The "learning curve" is one example of an "S." Curve. Imagine a
normal letter "S." Imagine that you have stapled or glued the
bottom end down to the horizontal axis. Pull the top end to the
right so that the middle part goes past vertical. The more you pull,
the flatter the incline to the final hump. The flatter the curve or
incline, the longer time it takes to learn something.

I'm sure there will be better explanations, but being a bit crazy in
the morning seems to get the day off to a good start.

<< All opinions, statements, &c are my own>>
L.H. Garlinghouse, C.Q.E.
Pocahontas AR U.S.A.
(870) 892-4586 ext 7659
garlinghou -at- waterlooindustries -dot- com