Re: Not allowed to change templates?

Subject: Re: Not allowed to change templates?
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:33:03 -0400

Believe it or not, there are plenty of companies out there that operate
this way. I just left such a company, partly because they have extremely
rigid "standards" that took about 6 months and an act of Congress to
change. For instance, the company standards stated that we were to use
two spaces after every period - never mind the fact that the rest of the
publishing world abandoned that practice umpteen years ago! We went
through a major "study" of this issue last year, but despite the urging
of all the writers to change the standard, the "production team leader"
(someone with no writing experience whatsoever) made the decision to
stick with the two spaces.

I can understand a company wanting some consistency in its manuals, but
companies that refuse to change to keep up with the times are eventually
going to get left in the dust.

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Sr. Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.