Re: Not allowed to change templates?

Subject: Re: Not allowed to change templates?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 11:12:59 -0500

> Our (big) department has a standard set of FrameMaker templates, and we are
> "NOT" allowed to change them. Now we're writing a department style guide,
> and found e.g. that there is no paragraph tag for a literature list, and no
> xref format for referencing the list items, like [1]. Of course we created
> these formats (plus some others), and now we have to defend our decision.
> How did others handle the need for special-purpose formats in a rigid
> environment?

I would compare how long it takes to put text in the necessary formats
using the existing tags to how long it takes using the formats you
created, then multiply by the number of times these new formats would be
used in a document and show how much time (and therefore money!) would
be saved by using your new tags.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm