FW: Contract salary calculation question

Subject: FW: Contract salary calculation question
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 10:43:17 -0400

Elna Tynes made some good points in response to L.H. Garlinghouse's comments. I do want to mention that insurance and benefits add up to quite a bit. For instance, Elna stated that her company pays $250/mo in insurance costs for her. It costs more to insure yourself because companies receive group rates. Last year I had to provide my own insurance. I was under 30 and healthy--my rates were $75 a month (no dental or vision). The catch? This insurance only covered emergencies and hospital stays. I had to pay all outpatient doctor visits and lab charges out-of-pocket, which depending on the procedure can be very costly.

Being a contractor is tricky, and you need to consider all the costs and benefits. For interested STC members, I recommend joining the contractor SIG. Also, check out bookstores and libraries. There are tons of books on the subject.