FW: QUESTION: diff. btwn Macromedia Director and Authorware

Subject: FW: QUESTION: diff. btwn Macromedia Director and Authorware
From: sng <sngotler -at- GOTLER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:21:08 -0400

I haven't used either, but I am familiar with them.

Director is a presentation tool. It is designed for creating multimedia
presentations. It is like MS Powerpoint on steroids. It has powerful
multimedia capabilities with both a GUI and a scripting interface. It is
probably better for developing applications that require precise timing
synchronization among multimedia elements (e.g. video, audio).

Authorware is an authoring package. It is designed for developing high-end
interactive presentations and computer-based training. It is probably
better for developing applications that require a lot of user-interaction
and decision-making.

Authoring tools, in general, give you a lot of control over your
application. I think Authorware has an interface that lets you write your
application using a flowchart metaphor. You position different icons around
on the screen to represent the logic of your application instead of writing
code (IconAuthor by Asymetrix has a similar interface, and it is available
on Windows AND Unix).

If you're considering buying Director and you're in the market for a video
card, look into the All-In-Wonder by ATI. I think it comes bundled with
Director 5.0 (one version behind). I've seen it for about $200 at computer
shows, which is a great price. Unfortunately, the Director upgrade is
expensive (~$400). I also think ATI's higher-end card comes with Director
6.0 (current version).

I hope this helps. Good luck!