Summary of document management software responses

Subject: Summary of document management software responses
From: Amy Nolan <ANolan -at- P21 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 19:40:38 -0400

On Monday, I posted a question about software programs that would allow
us to manage all of our documents. I thought that this would probably
be done by coding key phrases and words into a program, then searching
across all files to find which documents contain that key word or
phrase. Many people asked me to post a summary of the responses I
received.

1. A product called "MKS Source Integrity" allows you to search source
code files and documentation files. The person that suggested this to
me uses Word for their documents and places the Word documents and the
code under source control.

2. Documentum and FileNET are two companies that sell document
management solutions. Saros is the name of a product, which is owned by
FileNET, and was used by one of the people who responded to me.

3. Microsoft Visual SourceSafe was also suggested. Another tip is to
check out a newsgroup at comp.software.config-mgmt. This type of
product is discussed by the newsgroup.

4. Look up the term "document management system" or "universal
directory" in Yahoo/Alta Vista or ComputerSelect (if you subscribe to
it). ComputerSelect is an online compilation of all the Ziff Davis
publications (PC Week, Info Week, etc.)

5. Subscribe to a magazine called "Document Management" or check your
local public library.

6. Look for a disk utility that will search your entire hard drive or
network drive for a text phrase. Norton may have something that helps
with this.

Good luck to all those who are challenged with this task. Thanks for
everyone who responded with tips and suggestions. You're the reason
this list is so valuable!