Re: How can I be a technical writer?

Subject: Re: How can I be a technical writer?
From: Dick Gaskill <dickg -at- AG3D -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:59:54 -0700

Ah, this thread is a joke, right? Seems to me that the writer of the
original message knows more than he's telling. Non technical would not
likely know the words Dynamic Linked Library.

Now if you REALLY want to know how to be a technical writer, here's one
of the handouts I received in a tech writing class about 20 or so years
ago. Enjoy.

-dg

THE 60 SECOND
(INSTANT) TECHNICAL WRITER'S COURSE
Plagiarized by Dick Gaskill, for the enjoyment of all writers and those
who want to be.

So you want to be a writer.

You want to write things.

Good for you!

These are letters we use to make words:
A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-

N-0-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z

We even have numbers we can write. These are: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0.

Say these letters and numbers over and over until you know them by
heart. Print them over and over again, fifty times.

Now you are ready to make words.

Write the following words twenty times: cheese - rat - some - stole - A

Wasn't that easy?

Now you are ready to write a sentence. Write: "A rat stole some
cheese."

Good!

Now translate the sentence into Federal-ese, as follows:

A rodent, without first consulting cognizant authorities, or utilizing
procedures generated to expedite the logistics flow of prepared
foodstuffs, obtained an indeterminate amount of solidified Jersey
by-product, Federal Specification MIL-FSC-1890A, in a manner considered
to be illegal by this facility.

This is how we write : "A rat stole some cheese" in Federal-ese.

We have a reason, too. If you simply wrote, "A rat stole some cheese"
on a piece of paper and gave it to an associate, he'd laugh his *** off.
If you write the way we do, though, he and all your co-workers and
supervisors will surely think you are endowed with superior intelligence
and marvelous skill. *

Now you are a writer.

Doesn't it feel good?