Re: Reduce page count WAS Re: secretary's day

Subject: Re: Reduce page count WAS Re: secretary's day
From: David Somers <somersd -at- NATLAB -dot- RESEARCH -dot- PHILIPS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:08:34 +0200

John Gilger wrote:

> I believe that the correct term is "slave," as in "wage slave," rather
> than "permie."
>
> Contractors take their benefits in cash. Slaves take theirs as "golden
> handcuffs."
>
> Keep smilin'
>
> John

Where I've worked in Europe, it usually be been 'permies' and
'contractors', but:

At one place, two of the grade scales for the permanent staff were
prefixed by S for general/non-managers and M for managers; these were
internally referred to as 'slave' and 'massochist,' which reflected the
reality of the situation.

David Somers
(#insert standard disclaimer)