What tools do you use? Re Transmit

Subject: What tools do you use? Re Transmit
From: Debbie Stewart <Debbie_Stewart -at- SIECOR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:24:26 -0400

It seems that a lot of you are asking about the process maturity model. I
first heard about this on this list during a long thread. This is
referring to Hackos' model, publications-maturity model. Her model
allows you to use project planning and publication methodology to let
you control the publication process rather than be controlled by it,
which results in consistent quality and on-time publications.
Terminology aside, I would like to know what tools you folks are
using for the categories below. I work in a very unstructured
environment and we are developing project planning, standards, and
developing a documentation process that starts at the beginning of
the projects and not trying to do it at the end, or not at all! We
have had an ad hoc shop and are beginning to develop structure and
methodology!

We are beginning to implement applications development tools, document
management tools, and project planning tools. Could you good folks
list the tools you use and just a word or two about what you like or
dislike. I don't want a long discussion or debate but more of an
inventory of off-the-shelf tools that are available. From there, we
will do some investigative work to see if a product meets our needs
and can be supported within our distributed environment. We have a
distributed midrange architecture, use Lotus Notes extensively, have
intranet, and are pretty much on the bleeding edge in technology.

What are some of the tools your applications personnel are using for
systems development, i.e. CASE tools?

What are tech writers using for Document Development/Management
applications?

What are some good project planning applications?

What are some of the authoring tools (for Web, Intranet, hardcopy) I should
look at?

You can reply off list and I will do a summary. Thank you!

Debbie Stewart
Lone Tech Writer
Siecor Operations, LLC
Hickory NC
704-327-5143
debbie -dot- stewart -at- siecor -dot- com

Opinions expressed are mine alone; who else would express them?