Re: New slant: professionalism

Subject: Re: New slant: professionalism
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:32:26 +0100

Following the various comment I've heard perhaps things are changing (or
better in the UK I don't know). Here the ISTC have just published the
results of a survey carried out among members. On the age front
(=experience!) the largest number of respondents was in the age group
41-45. Experience does count. I do feel that the case sometimes (too
often perhaps) arises where it's a choice between youthful and willing to
learn, experienced and willing to learn and somebody with (roughly) the
experience required, then the latter will get the job. Often the choice is
made on short term considerations - cost, time etc.

On the age front, at least one comany in the UK now has a policy to hire
"older" people as they've found they are generally more courteous to
customers!

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International