Re: What Defines "Entry-Level"?

Subject: Re: What Defines "Entry-Level"?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 19:51:21 -0400

"Jelinek, Jennifer" <JJelinek -at- PLYMOUTHWATER -dot- COM> wrote:

>Some tech writing students may have a greater "grasp" of >reality than some English majors, some may not.

Personally, I've seen too many ignorant doctoral students and too many
brilliant under-educated people to judge anyone by their academic
qualifications alone. Degree requirements are often used by employees as
a winnowing technique, but they are an inconsistent predictor of
performance at best.

Tech-writing students are no different. I've interviewed graduates of
one local certificate program, and found them no better prepared than
other candidates without the formal qualifications. Nor do these
graduates appear to have any greater chance of finding work than anyone
else.

However, perhaps it's not fair to generalize from this one instance,
since the program in question is notorious for nepotism and incompetence
in its teaching staff.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(604) 421-7189 or 687-2133

"Nor did I know I was being auditioned
For the male lead in your drama,
Miming through the first easy movements
As if with eyes closed, feeling for the role."
-Ted Hughes, "Visit"