Re International Money Designations.

Subject: Re International Money Designations.
From: Marci Abels <mabels -at- CSIKS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:35:20 -0500

Here's a quick summary of the responses from today. Thanks for your
help. If I received permission to use a name, one is included.
Otherwise, the suggestion is anonymous.

The Chicago Manual of Style specifies "U.S. $1".

---Tim Altom
I always say $1 USD, or $1 US. I don't know why I say "always", it
hasn't come
up all that often. Hope this helps!

---Joanne Grey
We use:

CAN$1000
US$1000
AUS$1000

---Candace Bamber
In the financial community, currencies are indicated by three-letter
codes, like so:

USD - United States Dollar
GBP - Pound Sterling (United Kingdom)
DEM - German mark (Deutschemark)
FRF - French franc

...and so forth.

If I had to write the values using symbols, my inclination would
be to write US$ 1.

---Barry Campbell
The Canadian Style says (section 5.26) that "no single system is
universally accepted, but the following is the one used by the
Department of Finance and the International Monetary Fund:"

C$20 (Canadian)
US$20 (American)
A$20 (Australian)
NZ$20 (New Zealand)

---Alexa Campbell

It's been awhile since I worked with a German importer, but the
international standard at that time for U.S. Dollars was "USD."
I don't, unfortunately, know the source.

$1 US is the standard in Canada, where we have to do this a lot.

Mark Baker

_The New York Public Library Writers Guide to Style and Usage_ gives
these examples:

Can$2,400 (Canadian dollars)
US$5,000 (U.S. dollars)
DM 200 (German deutsche marks)
Fr 49 (French francs)

There are no spaces in the dollar examples.

Bev Parks

My own preference would be to print it like it is said aloud - i.e.,
amount
first, country second: "one dollar, U.S." ($1 U.S.). Just my two cents'
worth. %^) Let me know what you finally decide on.

I believe that USD following the amount is the most widely recognized
designation.
ex. 100.00 USD.

Bill

USD (US Dollar), MYR (Malaysian Ringgit), KZT (Kazakhstan Tenge), NLG
(Dutch Guilder), BZD (Belize Dollar), RUR (Russian Ruble), etc. can be
found in ISO4217 , containing the ISO currency code standards for use in

international documentation.

I always use US$1.00

I have seen 'payable in US$'

AUS$1 (sometimes A$1)

C$1

BUT, IL 1 and NIS 1 (Israel lira; New Israel Shekel)

Katav
I've seen it as US$1 in publications like Jane's Defense Weekly
I would do it $1 US.

Now I have a question. How will you document Euro currency (C with an =
sign superimposed)?

I'd say $1 US.

Hope D. Cascio
In the banking business, the US dollar has the abbreviation

USD

followed by the amount.

So, it would read USD 1.

My CHF 0.03 (or DEM 0.036; FRF 0.12; GBP 0.012 ...) worth.

Hope, this can help.

Thanks again for your help on this.

Marci Abels mabels -at- csiks -dot- com
CSI