Re: New slant: professionalism

Subject: Re: New slant: professionalism
From: Roger Mallett <roger -at- CSICAL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:57:39 -0700

><snip> (from Jane) How many people have you run

><snip> (from Beverly) Yes, but the broken books
> >you are fixing were written by yourcontemporaries,
>not colleagues of long ago. <snip>

Beverly,

I wasn't thinking of books written by my exclusively by my
contemporaries. I simply feel that legacy earned by writers from long
ago is just as applicable to writers today. Think about the last time
you read a book concerning a complicated/technical subject (new or old).
Was it enjoyable?, was it easy to read?, should it have been so? For
the reading I have in mind when I ask the question, the answers are a
resounding NOs.

To introduce my background, I spent years editing and writing mil-spec
manuals for Rockwell. While there I wrote the products for various
weapons systems, avionics, aircraft, radio/radar, security, etc. (and
yes George, what I wrote was absolutely accurate, all errors uncovered
and corrected before val/ver). I have had my hands deep into the work
of previous writers, fixing, editing, tearing apart, rebuilding, etc.
(some of the writers whose work I put my surgeons knife to were
contemporaries, some gone a decade or more before I came on the scene).

Oh, I have seen the work of those who preceded me, and am thus very
confident that my skill set is highly valued by those who pay me.

As I read what Jane wrote, I feel the reputation that technical writers
have is still well deserved. But who cares! I don't personally know
anybody outside of the technical writing world that has a great feeling
about technical writing. To the normal person (meaning non-tech
writer), it is drudgery to plow through technical material. Have we as
a profession made it easy for people? I don't think so. But again, who
cares! Some writing is boring because it is so meticulous (especially
defense projects), some is hard to read because it is so technical, and
some is just plain difficult because it wasn't written clearly.

The task of writing can be is very difficult (just ask Elna). Even so,
why should our feathers get ruffled just because others don't understand
the difficulties associated with our profession, or blame us for all of
the bad writing they have ever seen? Who Cares?!, not me. My job is to
solve problem for those who purchase my expertise. I am not an
evangelist. People seek me out because they know they have a problem
and have heard from others that I am their cure. Simple.

Being on the inside of this profession, I get a kick out of it when
others begin to moan and groan about those terrible TWs. I know what
they have experienced and understand why it happens.

Roger Mallett