Re: Using OR as a verb

Subject: Re: Using OR as a verb
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:31:57 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Knight <knight -at- ADA -dot- COM>

>Dave Neufeld wrote:
>>
>> How do you describe the of logically operators (such as OR and AND) in
>> documentation where the tendency is to use them as verbs.
>

><begin Chris Knight's example>
>To enable channel 0 DMA transfers using the DMA done interrupt:
>Set pDmaModeFlags to a logical OR of the following flags:
> PLX9060_DMA0MODE_LBURST_EN
> PLX9060_DMA0MODE_BTERM_EN
> PLX9060_DMA0MODE_RDY_EN
> PLX9060_DMA0MODE_LBUSWIDTH32
> PLX9060_DMA0MODE_DONE_INT_EN
><end example> (assuming I've the sense right--and using suitable
>typography for the software entities)

Whether you use OR as a verb depends on the audience. But I'd be willing to
bet that your audience is highly technical if you're even considering a
discussion of bit operations.

I'm a programmer. IMHO, there is no shorter way to say "OR variable x and
y." Bit operations such as AND and OR are conceptually the same as
performing arithmetic, such as adding or multiplying. How else would one say
"ADD variable x and y" and still make sense?

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com