Re: New slant: professionalism

Subject: Re: New slant: professionalism
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:52:14 -0700

Lisa -

> Does that mean that I am not a technical writer because I don't have a
> degree, or does that make me a professional tech writer because I take
> more pride in my work than a diploma?

Careful, careful! Here there be flamewars on that topic! <g>

The point you made

> how many companies
> are going to be willing to PAY for a person who understands ALL facets
> of the technology they are writing about, AND can communicate the
> information they know to others with absolutely NONE of the same
> knowledge?

is why there are people making big money doing information systems
consulting these days. While it's difficult getting into the business,
especially since you're competing with the likes of Andersen
Consulting, Price Waterhouse, etc., it's my personal opinion that this
is A direction technical communication is heading.

My company now takes the view that we design what we call "meta
information" systems, where training, documentation, and online Help are
AMONG the forms that information gets delivered to the right customer.
There are other forms, too. Further, because correct input can affect
how the information gets passed along, we target that too.

Does this sound like ERP consulting? You betcha!

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems