Re: Knowledge versus Information

Subject: Re: Knowledge versus Information
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:29:58 -0400

>So, you are saying that the distinction between information and
>knowledge is information, but not knowledge?

No, I'm not. I'm saying that the distinction is an interesting parlor game,
but little more. From the user's viewpoint, whatever is needed at a specific
moment is "information" but only because someone before me used
"information" in this context to mean "anything that reduces uncertainty".
We could apply a wholly new name if we wished, but that's a little extreme
(infopoint? knowledgenubbin?). Regardless of the noun, we shouldn't be so
taken with subdividing concepts that we forget that we're doing it as an
interesting diversion and lose track of how users apply the concepts.
>---
>Office:mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
>Home:nax -at- execpc -dot- com

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882
http://www.simplywritten.com
Creators of the Clustar Method for task-based documentation