Attitudes toward tech writers (Was: Re[2]: secretary's day)

Subject: Attitudes toward tech writers (Was: Re[2]: secretary's day)
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:01:01 -0500

This isn't just about "What to do if one is mistaken for a secretary". I
think the real issue we're discussing is how others (management, co-workers)
perceive Tech Writers in the workplace.

Some professions seem to have a prestige that goes with the job title (e.g.,
Doctor, Mechanical Engineer). Most people have some idea about what they do
for a living. However as a Tech Writer, I often run into people who haven't
worked with someone in my profession before, and who have no real idea of
what we do.

If people like this develop the idea that writing and editing are jobs that
can be performed by clerical staff, then the profession becomes devalued for
us all. Why hire a writer for $40 an hour or more when we can get the "girls
in the office" to do it for $12 an hour? (I've seen this one happen).

I'm interested in finding out what strategies others are using to make sure
they get taken seriously as professionals (seriously enough to get salaries
in the same pay range as developers). Here are the things that occur to me:

- Write well and write quickly (shouldn't need to be said, I know).
- Market yourself. Let your co-workers know what you're working on.
- Get involved in project meetings.
- When it's appropriate, look for opportunities to expand your role (e.g.,
information management on a web-site).
- Keep up with trends in your profession, including changes in technology
and tools.

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com