Re: What Defines "Entry-Level"?

Subject: Re: What Defines "Entry-Level"?
From: "Jelinek, Jennifer" <JJelinek -at- PLYMOUTHWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:02:56 -0500

Some tech writing students may have a greater "grasp" of reality than some
English majors, some may not. Some English majors may be better able to see
the "big picture" and not get bogged down in minutaie. Some may not. All
writing is connected...be it journalism, tech writing, marketing writing,
online writing. In school the English major rips on the journalism major's
questionable writing abilities, the journalism major rip on the English
major's long-windedness, and the tech writer jokes about how neither is
going to get a job, so what's the difference? The point is, all three are
pigeonholing. A good marketing writer can be a good tech writer and
vice-versa...just as someone with a tech writing degree may be a lousy tech
writer. Computer programs can be learned, techniques honed...and what's to
say an English major who learned to write in "legalese" couldn't just as
easily learn to document computer software...they're both about learning
subject matter, terminology and writing styles, after all. As someone who's
hired employees in the past, I look for experience certainly, but also for
demonstrated growth potential and versatility. The world is changing to fast
to select candiates soley for what they can do today...what about how
they'll adapt for tomorrow?

Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager
Plymouth Products, Inc. Sheboygan, WI