Converting Mac to PC

Subject: Converting Mac to PC
From: John Herrin <jaherrin -at- IUPUI -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:31:05 -0500

>Hi. would anyone know of a conversion program from MacWrite to Word? I have
>just gone from using an Apple Mac to a PC and want to convert my files
>over. I haven't had any luck finding such a program in Australia and wonder
>if any of you might be able to suggest one. I would also appreciate any
>address/URL where I might be able to purchase such a program. Many thanks
>for your help!
>Ecriva
>ecriva -at- bigpond -dot- com

As a writer that must contend with a multi-platform work place I've managed to try just about every alternative. There isn't a product on the market that is perfect. Regardless of what you use you'll lose some special formatting here, a style sheet there.

The best method I've found is MacLink 9.0. It handles most of the conventions and I've yet to lose a single precious word. One more suggestion; convert your MacWrite files to Word (for Mac) files, then use Word to save as a PC Word file. I haven't used MacWrite for years, but I know there is going to be a formatting issue between it and Word.

If all else fails, hide a Mac under your desk and tell your IT people that you need it to keep your feet warm.

John A. Herrin
<jaherrin -at- -dot- iupui -dot- edu>

EVENING CHESS | "Plug in, turn on, and tune in."
The Black Queen raised high | from
In my father's angry hand. | "How Macs Work."

Charles Simic |
"Hotel Insomnia" |