Automatically generating C/C++ function documentation

Subject: Automatically generating C/C++ function documentation
From: Dave Neufeld <Dave_Neufeld -at- SPECTRUMSIGNAL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:21:32 -0700

Has anyone used or heard of utilities to generate documentation for
functions from C/C++ code?

Currently, we manually cut, paste, and format text from commented C/C++
".c" and ".h" files. into the function reference section of our
programming guides. This gives the basic structure (function, syntax,
parameters, return values, and remarks) to the documentation for the
function. We then go back and edit it. The initial cutting, pasting, and
formatting seems a trite bit repetitive, leading some of the developers
to think that it can be automated. There is even rumour that one of the
developers might work on this.

Has this been tried before? Are there utilities out there already to do
this? If anyone has used this approach, what was it like? What were the
productivity gains, or losses?

BTW If you're interested in working for us, please submit a resume.
We're looking for a few more writers.

David Neufeld

Technical Publications
dave_neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com
http:\\www.spectrumsignal.com

"no matter where you go..... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai