Re: Do Technical Writers Deserve Their Own Offices?

Subject: Re: Do Technical Writers Deserve Their Own Offices?
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:10:47 -0400

I agree 100% with John Posada. One of the best skills a techwriter can have
is the ability to work under trying conditions, including noisy office
spaces. Most of us find that we do "zone out" and over time develop a
heightened ability to ignore just about anything going on around us.

If you really feel a need for quiet when working on a particularly pesky
project, you can ask your manager if you could work offsite (at home) from
time to time, assuming you have the equipment and discipline to do so.

I find it effective to post a very visible sign warning away those who might
want to interrupt me on those days when I really cannot afford to let my
concentration lapse.

Developers too have days when they really need to focus on their code. It
hasn't been hard to convey to them that we share this common ground. As John
has said, it's better to be more alike than different if you want co-operation.

Having one's own office is nice, but not necessary, and unless you're in a
management role, it's also unlikely.
--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1 Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com

See my friendly face at:
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/a.htm#agnewb