Urgent Hiring Practices

Subject: Urgent Hiring Practices
From: Carolyn Grismore <carolyng -at- CARECOMPUTER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:33:13 +0000

I've found that even when you meet someone's laundry list of
requirements that things aren't always so rosy. A couple of years
ago I decided to move from where I was to almost anywhere else. I
was working in a small, high tech startup company that was on the
skids because of mismanagement and cronyism. Working through an
excellent professiona shop I found a job that seemed to suit me to a
tee. I had all of the requisite skills and more. They wanted me to
establish the company's publications standards, produce the guide,
then hire staff and build the department in which I had always
dreamed of working.

During the interview I found good rapport with the people with whom I
would be working and also with management. I asked a lot of
questions about the company and it's stability etc., because it was
also a startup (though it had been around a few years). I left my
old job and enthusiastically reported for work. Five days later they
had massive layoffs and eliminated my job.

So even when the job seems a perfect fit, and there isn't any
procrastination about bringing you in, things don't always work out.

Carolyn Grismore