Hiring Practices

Subject: Hiring Practices
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:00:23 -0400

Being ignorant, but curious, about hiring laws and how they affect those of
us who may involved in hiring technical writers, I have a question. Dick
Margulis said companies have had to pay fines for not advertising openings
properly. What consitutes proper advertising? There are a lot of businesses
where the only way to get in is to know somebody. It seems like a company
should be free to choose how widely to advertise, if at all for prospective
employees. Common sense seems like the more qualified applicants you want,
the wider you should advertise. If I personally know a couple qualified
people, why can't I just pick up the phone and ask them if they want to
come to work? In that case, why should I advertise at all?

Sorry if this seems a bit off-topic. If I belonged to a Human Resources
listserv, I would ask them, but I think this is relevant to a lot of us on
this list. Thank you in advance for your great advice.

Tom Johnson

business johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com

Dick Margulis wrote:
This is a practice that is becoming more and more common, and I think
companies should take a close look at how they implement it. More than
one company has had to pay enormous fines to the Federal Equal
Employment Opportunity Commission, sign consent decrees, etc., because
they did not advertise their openings properly.