Re: "Urgent" Hiring Practices / Newbies getting jobs

Subject: Re: "Urgent" Hiring Practices / Newbies getting jobs
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:41:53 -0700

Bob brings up an interesting point:

>Only a small percentage of open positions are advertised "anywhere."
>We have many openings, but I haven't seen any ads to fill them.
>We pay a $1,000 bounty to employees for referrals.
>
>Bob Morrisette
>writer1 -at- Eng -dot- Sun -dot- com

The cost to a company for placing a small ad in the careers section of a
newspaper can be upwards of $4000 a day. To save money, companies often
decide to try alternative methods of "advertising" to fill positions, such
as a cash bonus to employees for referring friends and peers to the company
(usually paid if the person is hired and successfully passes a 3 or 6 month
review).

I've also seen tiny "notes" that a company is hiring technical writers at
the bottom of larger ads for programmers, managers and sales personnel.
Always read the fine print, but also watch for trends -- if a company places
an ad with the obvious intent of hiring a number of new staff, then apply.
Also follow links to the company's jobs pages on the Web, they may have many
more positions available there than you see in the paper.

- Rowena

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer
Intrinsyc Software, Inc.