Re: Still Tops?

Subject: Re: Still Tops?
From: John Gilger <JohnG -at- MIKOHN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 13:14:42 -0700

Kevin Freeman said:

I have a topic to discuss. 10 years ago when I decided to go into
technical communication as a career (I loved writing and knew that
supporting myself on creative writing would be tough)... Do you
all think that TW is in the top 100 great careers, do you all think TW
is still rapidly growing, etc. I just thought this would be an
intersting topic to get into.

Kevin

I got into this "racket" for the same reasons that Kevin did. I still
enjoy the work, and I feel that therer is still a good future in it.

I've found that the pay scale varies greatly depending on where you are
willing to work. It seems that, as a generalality, tech writers like to
live in different places than potential employers want to establish
offices, etc.

Telecommuting sounds great, but selling it to a client/employer is
tough. I feel that eventually this will be a "growth area" when
employers realize that they can get work done without having to provide
desks, computers, real estate, etc., etc.

Maybe a per project pay scale would be the solution to this.

John

~~~